Three motorcycles — a 1924 Croft-Cameron 996cc Super Eight, a 1948 Vincent-HRD 998 Black Shadow Series and a 1937 Brough Superior with sidecar combination – each sold for six figures over the weekend at Bonhams’ Autumn Stafford sale. The fall version of the twice-a-year auction of vintage motorcycles generated $1.91 million in sales.
“The Bonhams Stafford Sale continues to act as the international barometer for collectors’ motorcycle sales,” James Stensel, head of Bonhams motorcycle department, said in a news release. “The strong results at Stafford, including an industry leading percentage sale rate, were a welcome indication of the strength of the market.”
The sale was led by the 1924 Croft-Cameron,which sold for £203,100 ($248,526); the 1924 Vincent, which brought £113,500 ($138,886); and the Brough with sidecar that originally was owned and used by the Sheffield police department.
Prices include buyer’s fees.
The top-selling Super Eight is an extremely rare survivor of the short-lived and Coventry-based Croft-Cameron company. The Black Shadow sold for double its pre-auction estimated value.
Another Vincent, a 1946 998cc Rapide Series-B, sold for $84,065; it was the third-oldest complete and original post-war Vincent in existence, Bonhams said.
A 1920 Harley-Davidson 1,000cc Model F sold for $26,737.
“UK bidding was competitive from both the trade and private collectors,” said Malcolm Barber, Bonhams co-chairman and auctioneer at the sale, who added that the auction involved “the pound taking on strong European and indeed international currencies.”
Top 10 sales, Bonhams Autumn Stafford Sale 2016
- 1924 Croft-Cameron 996cc Super Eight, $248,526
- 1948 Vincent-HRD 998 Black Shadow Series-B, $138,886
- 1937 Brough Superior 1,096cc 11-50HP with sidecar, $104,623
- 1946 Vincent 998cc Rapide Series-B, $84,065
- Ex-Works NCR Sports Roger Nicholls Isle of Man TT Formula 1 1197 Ducatti 905cc production racer, $73,101
- 1978 MV Agusta 750 American Magni, $59,103
- Ex-J Shaw 1921 TT, 1921 Norton 4900cc Model 16H, $40,809
- 1960 Norton 490cc Manx racer, $37,994
- 1973 Healey 1000/4, $36,587
- 1906 FN Four, $28,14
(Prices include buyer’s fees.)
Bonhams will offer motorcycles at its December 7-8 sale in the Olympia exhibition center at London and then stages its huge Las Vegas Motorcycle Auction on January 26 at the Rio Hotel & Casino in Nevada.