In 1912 their first motorcycle was presented, a 350 cc side valve model ( 75x 79 bore and stroke) with a 2-speed gearbox. Soon the capacity was increased to 500cc, and also models with proprietary V-twin engines were made.
Sunbeam motorcycles gained fame for their very high standards of workmanship, their speed and their reliability: races all over Europe were won in the early half of the twenties with machines equipped with the very fast and reliable “ Longstroke” side valve engine with bore/stroke of 77x 105.5 mm. In June 1930 the Longstroke model was restyled, it got bought-in welded steel petrol and oil tanks. It was designated “ Lion” because the Lion was one of the ICI trademarks; the Imperial Chemical Industries Ltd owned the Sunbeam factory since 1926. From September 1930 all Sunbeams got the new Webb-type front forks with centre spring. The “Lion “ was one of only four models that were in the Sunbeam catalogue for 1931: the world Depressions had cast a dark shadow over motorcycle sales.
Later in 1931 a 598 cc version of the Lion would become available. This machine had dimensions of 85×105.5 mm. New for 1933 were quickly detachable and interchangeable wheels and removable pannier and carrier bags. This quality touring Sunbeam is equipped with Lucas electrics and is in unrestored condition.
Report by yesterdays.nl