Italy’s rebirth from the ashes of the war was assisted by two-wheeled vehicles like mopeds, scooters and lightweight motorcycles. Such conveyances supplied the mobility necessary for reconstruction which the larger public transport system vehicles were unable to guarantee. Guzzi made its own, particular and essential, contribution to all this in the form of a very light motorcycle. Thanks to its uncomplicated aspect and the undoubted quality guaranteed by the Guzzi name, it soon earned itself a vast clientele ranging from workmen to doctors, postal service and priests. The evolution of the popular Guzzino model was the Cardellino, first built in 1954.
The engine is a 65cc single cylinder, two-stroke with a cast iron cylinder head, producing 2 HP at 5000 RPM. Dell ‘Orto MA 13 carburetor, shift by a 3-speed hand change gearbox on the side of the fuel tank just like the 500cc bikes. Front brake with hand controls, rear brake with foot control. Lever throttle on the handle bars. The Cardellino was updated with rear friction shocks and sturdier frame so one could carry a passenger. Weighing 10 pounds more than the Guzzino, the Cardellino weights a total of 120 lbs.
Imported from Italy and completely restored from A to Z in our Grand Prix Classics shop from a complete original bike. The frame was stripped and refinished with all new paint and chrome. Pin striping done by hand. All hardware black oxide as per factory specs. Engine rebuild, and all other mechanicals complete. Wheels rebuilt, and spokes tuned, new tires, new seat. All new electrical wiring. New foot peg and handlebar rubber grips. It is ready to ride, show, or display in your collection.
Report by grandprixclassics.com