The overwhelming enthusiasm for the new Scout that was brought out in 1920 caused many riders, dealers and overseas agents to push the factory to design a lager, heavyweight v-twin along Scout lines. This new model should be faster and have more power to make it especially suitable for sidecar work.
Many factory executives supported the idea because the still popular PowerPlus began to look a bit old-fashioned. Charles Franklin retired to the drawing board and designed a new model that would be known as the Chief. It was announced in the fall of 1921 and was essentially an enlarged Scout with many PowerPlus (or Standard as it was now called) features: engine, front forks, wheel assemblies and other parts were basically similar to the Standard, with the addition of the Scout-type helical gear drive and unit construction of engine and gearbox. The Chief was a successful model from the start and for the 1923 season a 1200 cc Big Chief model was added to the range. Some of its new features for 1927 were: bigger mudguards, improved muffler (the factory claimed a 50% reduction in exhaust sound), Alemite fittings for lubrication and removable cylinder heads. This Mighty Twin has been restored a number of years ago.
Report by yesterdays.nl