The 680 model was announced in Sept. 1926 and introduced shortly after, poor sales in the previous two years has led in George Brough to build a new sports model with a wider appeal. Although the JAP overhead valve 680 engine lost aprox 300cc to its bigger brother the SS100 overall the bike was lighter and so still performed adequately while in appearance the two bikes were very similar.
In period sales were strong in the 11 years of production that ended in 1937 with 547 examples built of which just 127 are known to have survived today, although there are reported to be a number of bikes surviving incomplete. Supplied new to Layton Garages Oxford on 3rd May 1933, this 680 was constructed at the Haydn Road works with a Rigid frame, Castle (Brampton) forks, Amal Carburettor, Lucas MSV 50d Magdyno, Lucas S40 headlamp with ammeter and dipping beam, Lucas 6V Alttete horn, Jaeger 120 MPH speedometer, Pilgrim oil pump and Lycett saddle.
Further remarks on the works record denote fuel tank top switch, battery on front platform, tank gate control (long horizontal lever), separate oil tank c/w Bowden control, detachable carrier, small type curved top pannier bags, non valance rear split guard, Alum oilbath front chain cover, top and bottom rear chain covers, rear footrests, RHS brake pedal and Sackville handlebar controls – RH twist grip and LH dummy, rear bevel drive and rear footrests. It was also originally fitted with a Sturmey-Archer 4 speed gearbox no. 5654 that it still retains today. First registered on 14th September 1933 the early history is not recorded however it was registered to Mr John Thomas Cooke of Melton Mowbray on 8th January 1944. The next listed owners for 12 years was Dodsley and Muse also of Melton Mowbray on the 2nd December 1949.
A buff log book which is in the history file, issued on 14th Oct. 1953 also records the next owner on 16th Aug.1961 as Roger Montague Allen also of Melton Mowbray, Mr Allen retained the bike until 25th June 1965 when it was sold to Keith Richard Goodall of Ripley, Derbyshire and remained in his ownership for the next thirteen years until it was acquired by Thomas Benjamin Ryder, Atherstone, Warwickshire on 9th March 1978. Acquired from the estate of the late Thomas Ryder in 2017, the bike had been partially restored when it was sent to Brough restoration specialist Simon Miles to finish; works included a full rebuild of the engine, full gearbox and transmission rebuild, new oil pipes and the fitment of the correct headlight. This work was recently completed and so the engine will still require running in. A wonderfully presented and matching number Brough that retains its original registration number this is a fine example with a very nice patina. Fully fettled and in great working order. It is supplied with invoices for the recent engine rebuild, further restoration work and a small history file with a copy of the works record card. A highly collectable Brough still going strong in its 90th year.
more information: anthonygodin.co.uk